“Irina Tymczyszyn is a very effective arbitrator who impresses with her expert handling of complex commercial proceedings.”
Who is Who Legal 2020
Irina Tymczyszyn is an independent international arbitration specialist, based in London, UK. Over the last 20 years, she has acted as counsel and arbitrator in multiple international commercial arbitration proceedings seated around the world, with considerable experience in multi-jurisdictional cross-border disputes.
Born in Ukraine and educated in Ukraine and UK, Irina successfully pursued a legal career in the City of London, qualifying as an English solicitor in 2001 and becoming a partner of a global US law firm in 2011.
Irina received her first appointment as arbitrator in 2007 and to date has sat as arbitrator in a number of cases globally. Irina retired from partnership of a leading global law firm in February 2019 setting up Tymczyszyn Arbitration to focus on her career as a full-time international arbitrator in a conflict-free environment.
Irina is fluent in English, Ukrainian and Russian and has working knowledge of German.
Style and Approach
Practical and hands on approach aiming to resolve the dispute in the most expedient and efficient manner. Adopting the procedural style most suitable for the parties in each particular case. Ensuring fast and efficient communication with the parties and the institution if applicable.
- Banking & Finance
- Construction and Engineering
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Corporate Disputes
- International Trade
Details of experience as International Arbitrator for the past 5+ years
Banking & Financial Services
- Dispute arising out of breach of a loan agreement.
- Claim for breach of contract for delivery of pharmaceutical products to Russia.
- Claim for breach of contract for delivery of construction equipment to a CIS country.
- A dispute between a Scandinavian commodities trader and an Eastern European exporter over failure to deliver under multiple agreements
- A claim against an Eastern European businessman for breach of a guarantee.
- A post-acquisition dispute between two BVI companies in relation to breach of a sale and purchase agreement
- A claim against a state-owned Eastern European marine construction company for breach of contract.
Energy/Oil and Gas
- An investment dispute between a Middle Eastern state and a state-owned Eastern European oil and gas company in relation to breach of investment agreement.
Number of cases as counsel
- 40 (lead counsel/co-counsel) under the LCIA, SCC, UNCITRAL, ICC, Swiss Rules
- Professional Qualifications: Solicitor of the Higher Courts of England and Wales (2001).
- Solicitor-Advocate of the Higher Courts of England and Wales (2014)
- Independent Arbitrator, Tymczyszyn Arbitration
- Consultant, Gresham Legal
- Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, London
- Partner, Chadbourne & Parke (London) LLP
- Partner, Leader of CEE and CIS Team, Bryan Cave LLP
- Senior Associate, Leader of CEE and CIS Team, Bryan Cave LLP
- Senior Associate, Olswang
- Associate, Salans
- Associate, Taylor Wessing
- Trainee Solicitor, CMS Cameron McKenna
- Law Society of England and Wales (2001)
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Swiss Arbitration Association
- International Bar Association