Ms Wendy J Miles QC
Wendy J. Miles, QC is currently senior partner in Debevoise & Plimpton LLP’s London office in its International Dispute Resolution Group. Her practice focuses on international arbitration, public international law and climate change.
With over 25 years’ experience, Ms. Miles has conducted arbitrations under all major institutions as well as ad hoc, advising a wide range of multinationals, sovereign states and state entities and multilateral organisations. Ms. Miles has experience across numerous sectors. Since 2005, sits regularly as arbitrator, including sole, co-arbitrator and chair, under most major arbitral institutions.
Ms. Miles is currently a Vice President of the ICC Court of Arbitration and member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR. She co-chaired the ICC Task Forces on Costs Allocation and Climate Change Related Disputes. She is active in the IBA and ICCA, and holds executive positions in the Stockholm Arbitration Association, Foundation for International Arbitration Advocacy and the gender diversity initiative Equal Representation in Arbitration Pledge.
Style and Approach
Her style is efficient, pragmatic and thorough.
- Banking & Finance
- Construction & Engineering
- Energy & Natural Resources (including climate change)
- IP & Technology
Energy & Natural Resources (including renewables):
- Chair in a London seated LCIA arbitration between two oil and gas companies concerning a post-closing price dispute upon the sale of shares in a joint venture petroleum exploration and production company.
- Co-arbitrator in a Paris seated investor-state arbitration between an investor and an Eastern European state concerning a major wind farm project.
- Sole arbitrator in a London seated ICC arbitration between two oil and gas companies concerning a dispute arising out of the sale or an exploration and production project in south-east Asia.
Banking & Finance:
- Chair in a London seated LCIA arbitration between Middle Eastern parties arising out of a dispute under a deed of guarantee.
- Sole arbitrator in a BVI seated BVI IAC arbitration concerning a shareholder dispute between Middle Eastern and US parties concerning financial services.
- Sole arbitrator in a London seated LCIA arbitration between UK parties arising out of services provided pursuant to a family office arrangement.
Construction & Engineering:
- Chair in a Caribbean seated ad hoc arbitration between UK and US parties concerning sale and development of leisure properties in the Caribbean.
- Chair in a London seated ICC arbitration between two major construction companies concerning the construction of a fertiliser plant.
- Chair in an investor-state arbitration between an investor and a central Asian state concerning a luxury property dispute.
- Co-arbitrator in a London seated ICC arbitration between metals traders concerning a dispute under a scrap metal trading goods and services agreement.
- Chair in a London seated LCIA arbitration between two travel services providers concerning a dispute arising out of a share purchase agreement concerning a joint venture for provision of tourism and travel agency services in Russia and the CIS.
- Chair in a London seated LCIA arbitration between two luxury goods providers concerning a dispute arising out of the share value determination mechanism under a call option in the share purchase agreement.
IP & Technology:
- Chair in a Paris seated ICANN arbitration between a domain name applicant and ICANN involving the review of an expert determination in respect of an unsuccessful application for the top-level domain name.
- Chair of a Paris seated ICANN arbitration between a domain name applicant and ICANN involving the review of an expert determination of an unsuccessful application for the top-level domain name.
- Chair in a London seated SCC arbitration between two pharmaceutical companies involving the interpretation of a license and supply agreement.
- LLM (First Class), University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, 1998
- BA LLB, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, 1994
- 2017-2020, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton, London, UK
- 2015-2017, Partner, Boies Schiller, London, UK
- 2005-2015, Partner, WilmerHale, London, UK
- 1999-2004, Associate WilmerHale, London, UK
- 1996-1998, Associate, Russell McVeagh, Wellington, New Zealand
- Called to the Bar in New Zealand in 1994
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales in 1999
- Higher Rights of Audience (Civil) in England and Wales in 2001
- Awarded Queen’s Counsel in 2015