Amanda J. Lee
Amanda Lee sits as an arbitrator in international and domestic arbitration proceedings and is a consultant at Seymours, London. She specialises in commercial dispute resolution, with particular focus on the automotive, construction, finance and waste management sectors. Her practice primarily focuses on the UK, North and South America and the Eastern Caribbean. She has advised parties in respect of domestic and international arbitration proceedings (ad hoc and conducted under institutional rules), construction adjudication matters, mediation and commercial litigation proceedings involving a number of different jurisdictions. She acts as representative in respect of appellate proceedings before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.
She is a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Law, UK; a member of the Board of ArbitralWomen; an Ambassador for the Alliance for Diversity in Dispute Resolution; a member of the Global Advisory Board of ICDR Y&I and chair of the Professional Paralegal Register’s Register Regulatory Committee. She is the founder of ‘Careers in Arbitration’, a platform designed to assist those seeking to work in the field of international arbitration. Amanda was named as a Rising Star in the inaugural Legal 500 UK International Arbitration Powerlist.
Prior appointments include:
• Member of the Board of Management of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) (2017 to 2018);
• Global Chair of the CIArb’s Young Members Group (YMG) (2017 to 2018) and member, subsequently chair of the YMG Global Steering Committee (2015 to 2018);
• Public Relations Officer and member of the Committee of the CIArb’s London Branch (2015 to 2019);
• Co-Chair of the London and South East CIArb YMG (2016 to 2018);
- Banking & Finance,
- Waste Management.
- Acting as sole arbitrator on 20+ occasions in respect of disputes between consumers and service providers operating in the travel sector (London seat, English law, ABTA Arbitration Rules);
- Acting as sole arbitrator in respect of international dispute relating to accommodation contract between US and UK parties (London seat, English law, ad hoc);
Arbitration (International and Domestic):
- Advising respondent recycling company in respect of its defence of multimillion-pound ad hoc domestic arbitration proceedings arising from a sub-contract agreement (London seat);
- Advising and acting as co-counsel in advising the claimant subsidiary of a multinational energy company in respect of ad hoc international arbitration proceedings against its insurers (London seat);
- Representing respondent individual in respect of declaratory proceedings arising from a disputed partnership agreement brought by multiple claimants in an international arbitration under the rules of the ICC (Paris seat).
Litigation and Appellate Practice
- Advising claimant and acting as counsel in respect of pending Privy Council appeal arising from proceedings in Anguilla between individuals with value in excess of $10 million, including issues relating to the interpretation of arbitration awards made by NY Bankruptcy Court-appointed mediator/arbitrator;
- Advising claimant multinational engineering company in respect of multimillion-pound professional negligence proceedings against its insurance brokers;
- Advising claimant recycling company in respect of £91.5 million fraud and breach of warranty proceedings following the acquisition of a metal recycling group;
- Advising defendant consumer credit provider operating in the automotive sector in respect of claims relating to alleged breaches of the Consumer Credit Act brought by a number of consumers;
- Acting as Privy Council Agent on behalf of respondent fund in respect of appeal from a decision of the Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal authorizing the sale of property by liquidators;
- Acting as Privy Council Agent on behalf of appellant Bermudian company in respect of appeal from a decision of the Court of Appeal of Bermuda.
- Advising companies and individuals in respect of mediation proceedings relating to a wide range of industries (employment; retail; property; waste management and others); often involving multiple parties and/or parties from multiple jurisdictions;
England and Wales
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales (2010)
- Solicitor-Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience in Civil Proceedings (2012)
- Attorney and Counsellor at Law, New York (2012)
- Member of the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States of America (2016)
January 2017 to Arbitrator (independent) and Consultant, Seymours Present
April 2015 – December Senior Associate, Seymours 2017
August 2010 – March Associate, Seymours 2015
August 2008 – July Trainee Solicitor, Seymours 2010
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow (2014)
- Member (2013)