“I know well the talents that mark a first-rate arbitrator. Professor Walker possesses them all.”
Janet is a chartered arbitrator with chambers at Int-Arb Arbitrators, London; Arbitration Place, Toronto; and Sydney Arbitration Chambers, Australia. Janet has served as sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator and chair in ICC, ICDR, DIAC, HKIAC, KCAB and SIAC-administered, and in ad hoc arbitrations in a variety of seats. She has a good working knowledge of Spanish and French.
Janet is professor of law (past associate dean) at Osgoode Hall Law School, a member of the Ontario Bar, and a licensed legal consultant of the New York State Bar. She authors Canada’s main text on private international law, cited in more than 350 judgments. Janet is ICC Canada chair-elect, ICC Commission member, CIArb Canada board member, International Construction Law Association board member. Janet is the recipient of the CIArb Canada Award for Distinguished Service to Arbitration and has been recognized in Who’s Who Legal, Chambers and Best Lawyers since 2010.
Style and Approach
I am a great believer in the capacity of the arbitral process to deliver timely and cost-effective dispute resolution. I like to work with parties and counsel from different backgrounds to realize this potential and to meet the bespoke needs of their case.
- Heavy Equipment
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Shareholder Disputes
- Intellectual Property
- Sole Arbitrator, ICC Rules, New York Seat, Desulphurization project
- Chair, SIAC Rules, Singapore Seat, Solar power project
- Co-Arbitrator, DIAC Rules, Dubai Seat, Communications infrastructure
- Co-Arbitrator, ICC Rules, Ottawa Seat, Agricultural processing plant
- Sole Arbitrator, ICC Rules, New York Seat, Heavy equipment servicing
- Sole Arbitrator ICDR Rules, Toronto Seat, Equipment supply
- Sole Arbitrator, SIAC Rules, Singapore Seat, Energy trading company
- Chair, ICC Rules, New York Seat, Oil processing facility
- Sole Arbitrator, SIAC Rules, Singapore Seat, Coal mining company
- Emergency Arbitrator, ICC Rules, New York Seat, Patent Licensing
- Chair, ICDR Rules, Toronto Seat, Joint venture, New product development
- Sole Arbitrator, HKIAC Rules, Hong Kong Seat, Licensing dispute
- Chair, ICC Rules, Kingston Seat, Travel Industry.
- Sole Arbitrator, ICC Rules, New York, Technology Transfer
- Sole Arbitrator, Ad Hoc, UNCITRAL Rules, London Seat, Services Agreement Property
- 2017 CIArb Chartered Arbitrator (FCIArb 2012)
- 2015 Licensed Legal Consultant, New York State Bar
- 1998 Bar of Ontario, Law Society of Ontario
- 2002 DPhil, Oxford University (Law) (MA, 2010)
- 1993 JD, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 1982 MA, York University
- 1979 BA (Hons), York University
- 1996-present – Professor (past associate dean) Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto
- 1996-2018 – 50+ expert consulting and testifying mandates on private international law in cross-border disputes
- 2001-present – independent arbitrator
- CIArb Chartered Arbitrator.